Let’s get your kids talking and sharing their thoughts with you by making a “Chit-Chat Jar.” How fun is this!
- Find/buy a jar or container. Make sure the jar is clear so the kiddos can see what’s inside.
- Write topics on small strips of paper. Make the ideas light and fun. They can be things like:
- Vacation ideas
- Do you like your teacher?
- Foods they like
- The library and scheduling a time to go
- Favorite thing about school
- Favorite subject in school
- The art museum and scheduling a fun visit
- Earth and our environment
- Ask your kiddos what makes them happy
- The strip that is pulled out that day is what you will talk about.
- The communication/talk can last longer if you are more engaged with what your child is saying. Encourage them by saying things like: so cool, tell me more, awesome, wow, interesting, love it, etc.
- Please don’t make the topics serious …snore-zzzz… Your kids will lose interest really quickly. The point is too get them to talk, not tell you things you want to hear.
These are just suggestions. You can do what you feel is good for you and your kids. The point is, communication is key! Take interest and enjoy the time you are communicating together.
Children’s Books Author